Thursday, January 20, 2011

Goodbye


            “It’s not about the money,” I said as I tossed my biggest suitcase onto the bed, nearly hitting her.
            “You don’t have to lie, Connor. We both know it’s about the money.”
            “But it’s not!” I insisted, boxer briefs flying toward the open satchel.
            And it wasn’t, not really. She owed me money for some editing work I had done on the book she was writing. I told her I’d do it for free, but she insisted on paying me. I offered her a discount, but she said she wanted to keep her business affairs and her personal life separate from each other. So I wrote her an invoice on official office letterhead outlining the services I would provide and the rates I charged everyone for whom I did freelance editing work. I even mailed it from my office the way I did for everyone else. As it related to her book, she wasn’t my fiancée; she was just another client.
            “Look, I’m gonna pay you,” she said playfully. “Put that away and come to bed.”
            I looked at my watch.
            “It’s only 8:11,” I said looking up.
            She was lying back against the headboard slowly stripping off the oversized t-shirt she had pilfered from me a few months prior. She said she liked my smell and wanted it all around her. I wore the shirt now and then to refresh the scent for her. She liked that.
            “Oh, you finally giving my shirt back?” I spat.
She stopped stripping. I kept packing.
            “I said I’m going to pay you,” she said, all business once again.
            “That’s what you said yesterday. And last Wednesday. And the Wednesday before that,” I said, moving to the closet.
            “Well, I just haven’t gotten to it yet,” she offered.
            “15 days. I gotta wait 15 days for my own – never mind.”
            “What? Your own what?”
            “I forgot, it’s not personal with you,” I said, throwing my hands in the air. “Just business.”
            “Right. It’s business. You wouldn’t move out of your office if your business partner was a few weeks short on his rent, would you?”
            It was a good try on her part. On more than one occasion the whole of the rent for our office had to come out of my share of the monthly profits because Pedro, my South American business partner, had heavier financial obligations than I did.
            “No, I wouldn’t because Pedro is honest with me. I know he needs the money for other things and I don’t mind fronting him a little cash to help him out sometimes.”
            “So you’ll help some immigrant Guatemalan but not your own fiancée?!” she shouted.
            “Pedro’s Brazilian,” I said.
            “Always the jokester.”
            “Does this look like a joke to you?” I asked, indicating the large bag taking up most of the lower half of the bed.
            “You’d really leave me because of a late payment?” she asked.
“I thought this was business?” I said. “You can’t have it both ways.”
            “But Pedro can?”
            “Pedro never tried to separate the two. He never tried to say ‘we’re just business partners, we’re not friends when it comes to work.’ You did that. Don’t blame Pedro for your mistake.”
            “Who’s to say I made a mistake?” she said, getting defensive.
            I responded by putting another pile of shirts into my suitcase.
            “Where are you gonna go?” she asked me after a long while.
            “Away. I just have to get away from you for a while,” I said.
            “How long will you be gone?”
            “I dunno. Gotta clear my head. Figure some things out.”
            I was still packing, but the gravity of my decision was beginning to slow my progress a little.
            “What can I do?” she asked.
            “You can pay me my two thousand dollars,” I said simply.
            “I thought you said it wasn’t about the money,” she said, thinking she had me.
            “It’s not,” I replied. “Not really.”
            “Explain it to me, then,” she said, sitting up and lightly brushing against my arm.
            I stopped moving altogether then. I may have stopped breathing for a few seconds. Somehow I knew that if I said it out loud I’d never come back. Finally I took a deep breath and started.
            “We entered into this arrangement each having certain unspoken expectations. I wanted things from you and you wanted things from me, but neither of us told each other what we wanted. So I do what I do and you do what you do and we each think we’re meeting expectations. But the problem is neither of us really knows what the other one’s expectations are.”
            “I’m not sure I understand,” she said. “Are we still talking about the editing work?”
           “What’s worse than the blind leading the blind?” I asked by way of explanation.
            She shrugged in response.
            “The blind leading those who can see. And we’ve both been flying blind for so long that neither of us expects that the other can see. So when I say something like ‘we don’t have to keep business separate from our personal lives,’ you don’t think I know what I’m talking about.”
            “I don’t doubt your intellect,” she said defensively.
            “That’s not what I mean.”
            I paused again, this time for effect.
            “I don’t think you trust me anymore.”
            “’Course I trust you,” she said too fast.
            “Why won’t you pay me?” I asked.
            “I – “
            “Have I completed the work?”
            “Connor,” she pleaded, the request in her tone.
            “Humor me,” I pacified. “Have I completed the work?”
            “Yes, Connor, you’ve completed the work.”
            “Were you satisfied with the work I did?”
            “Very much so. You know you do great work,” she confessed.
            “Do you have the money?”
            She paused again.
            “Sorry, I can’t hear you,” I said, leaning closer to her. “Do you have the money?”
            “Yes, I have the money.”
            “Well, what else is there?”
            “I don’t know…” she trailed off.
            “What is it you don’t know? What I’ll do with the money?”
            “Yes,” she said.
            “Exactly. You don’t trust me to make good financial decisions with my own money, and since it affects you as my fiancée, you’re withholding it as my client. You said you didn’t want to mix business issues with personal ones but that's exactly what you’ve done.”
            “And so you’re leaving? Because I can’t keep my feelings for you out of my business?”
            “No. I’m leaving because you bury yourself so deep in your own ridiculous misconceptions that there’s no way I can trust you to tell me the truth.”
            I had overstated my point and I knew it immediately. I silently chided myself of indulging my penchant for the superlative.
            “What are you – “
            It was too late to turn back, so I cut her off.
            “Look, I’m an all or nothing kinda guy. I’m either all in or I’m all out. You seem to be a fan of this halfway stuff, except you can never do it. You’re an all or nothing person too, you just refuse to face it.”
            “What’s your point?” she asked, getting frustrated.
            “Lately I feel like an adjunct fiancée, and I can’t help but wonder who’s filling the rest of your credit hours.”
She hated it when I analyzed things because she said it typically led me to over-analysis and eventually obsession. She was right, too. I had been thinking about having this conversation with her since well before she offered me the chance to edit her book. The work issue was really the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
“I don’t want to make this about you. This is my decision,” I said finally.
“Oh, please,” she said.
“What?”
“You’re giving me the ‘it’s not you, it’s me’ routine? I think I deserve a little more respect than that.”
“Ok then, it is you,” I said. “It’s not me. It’s you. Feel better?”
“Funny. I thought I would.”
I closed the zipper on my full bag and slid it onto the floor. I grabbed the handle and began rolling it toward the door.
“So, that’s it?” she asked when I reached the door.
I turned around.
“Call me when you want me full time. Goodbye, Oakwood.”

58 comments:

  1. At the end, I was like, HUH??? Had to go back and see where the analogy started. **brain still spinning**

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Is it possible Connor was fully aware of Oakwood's misconceptions before he entered the arrangement and he was just trying to be the one to change her ways?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Conner was trying to change her,it was more so him trying to read the mistakes and react to them the best way. And because Conner had a personal life with Oakwood, would she have complied to business that was aggreed upon in the first? I think not!And I do think that Conner was aware of Oakwood's misconceptions, he was just trying to test how far she would bend truth for this "love" and pay for the arrangement of that love between business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since Connor had been thinking about having this conversation for awhile, was he not planning on leaving all along?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does the title of the short story "Goodbye" imply about it overall?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Connor was planing on leaving, but at the same he wanted to converse with his client on issues concerning the money she owed him and he wanted to let her know that she was not a person who gave direct answers. In turn that way the conversation lasted a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The blind leading those who can see." Did Conner mean that he could see and his fiancée could not?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brandon Wilson.

    At the end of this story, Connor states the name of the his fiancee, Oakwood. Why do you believe the author chose to withhold Connor's name to the end and does this action take away from the story??

    ReplyDelete
  9. @chakara Conner tried not to face the reality, but eventually he realized the issue was too significant and realized he had to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Alycia

    Brandon Wilson

    I truly believe Connor was aware of Oakwood's misconceptions. However, he transformed the amorous relationship he had with Oakwood into something a business partnership which subsequently caused them to part from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why is Connor questioning to his fiancee as to why she has to make their personal and business two separate things?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Brandon Wilson I think the reason of finally revealing the name was to keep hold the identity till the very end and I think it does not take away from the action of the story because as a reader I'm trying to figure out clues to understand the whole stories meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Alycia Connor knew of the Oakwood's misconceptions because she she was trying to put both work relationship together since they are engaged to be married, it's like she does not want make their lives separate but as one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Alycia It is very possible that Conner was aware of the misconception he would have to encounter in the arrangement. He didn't make that a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Conner is questioning his fiancee as to why she should make their personal and bussiness to seperate things because she does not seem to wanted to keep personal and business affairs seperate. Connor is questioning his fiancee because he offered to keep them as one but she wanted otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This story seems to be allegory. In the literal sense, when Conner states, “Lately I feel like an adjunct fiancée, and I can’t help but wonder who’s filling the rest of your credit hours”, we get an understanding that Conner feels that Oakwood isn’t committed. Now, does this same motif apply figuratively to a student’s relationship with Oakwood University?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you believe that Connor wanted to leave his fiancee(Oakwood) or was his forced to leave because of the money situation?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It says, "She was lying back against the headboard slowly stripping off the oversized t-shirt she had pilfered from me a few months prior". Was the girl trying to use intimacy for Conner to stay a little awhile or change his mind? Conner looked at the time and it was 8:11 and the girl looks his cologne. After the female realize Conner wasn't aiming for that, she quickly went back into attitude mode.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why doesn't Connor's fiancee just tell him she doesn't trust him with the money she is paying him? And why did she insist on paying Connor (her fiance)?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Monique.blissett.... I believe it was his money situations but then again his fiancee (Oakwood) did give him a headache. Oakwood itself gives you a headache.. everything is offered in a negative way. Drugs, sex, and plagiarism is offered and probably Conner wanted to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ CGoodson: Conner’s questioning of Oakwood’s business/pleasure policy, is to fortify his conclusion that she, Oakwood, is not being truthful to herself and to him. She says one thing, however her actions, and even her words, do not coincide (an example of verbal irony? Maybe). Conner seems to have recognized her dishonesty and wanted to hear it from “camel’s mouth” herself to solidify his conclusion; hence the reason for questioning Oakwood’s business/pleasure policy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @CGoodson
    I think Connor was asking her about the money for the simple reason that he wanted to see if she would finally tell him the truth, the real reason as to why she still hadn't paid him the money she insisted she would.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Monique.Blissett
    I don't think he truly wanted to leave, but that he was tired of the current situation they were in. Money was clearly an issue and trust was also another issue. He seemed tired of dealing with both so just was pushed to remove himself until his financee got herself together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Monique Blissett: I don’t believe Conner left because of the money issue. In fact, I don’t think Conner have any intentions of leaving. However, once the conversation was opened, it seemed that his next step should be to leave. Remember than he has been thinking about having this conversation; he hasn’t been thinking about leaving. A conversation implies that to a certain level he wanted to fix things. However, once he heard Oakwood’s answers, he realized that it wasn’t going to work, therefore the only option left was to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Chakara I don't believe connor was planning to leave all along enen though he thought about the conversation because Connor could have wanted to discuss with his fiancee(Oakwood) about the money situation but he may not have thought about leaving at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  26. As Chahara said, wasnt Conner planning on leaving Oakwood all along. Oakwood and Conner are planing on getting married, how long did he realize they were having relationsip issues before or after the proposal? Clearly the trust issue has been going on for some time. Woulndnt simple old fashioned counseling help?

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Carlie-Anne This motif can apply figuratively to the students relationship with Oakwood University because some of the students attending the University have administrative connections but have to understand that they cannot get special treatment so they have to separate their personal business and office business but not willingly and if the student isn’t able to get cleared for the semester they would have to leave reluctantly like Connor did.

    ReplyDelete
  28. "I had been thinking about having this conversation with her since well before she offered me the chance to edit her book." Why did Conner decide to have the conversation with her so late into the relationship? What was the cause of him holding on for so long and not leaving sooner?

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Edward I think that Conner was trying to state that he saw the differences and conflicts in their relationship and Oakwood didn't. She probably saw the same thing all along, but she was comfortable in the relationship so therefore she didn't want to say anything that would disturb them or cause him to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Towards Edwards Relote's Comment, I think Conner meant with his comment " the blind leading those who can see" that he could see and Oakwood could not. To me it was the other way around. Conner could not see, He could not see he had a problem indivdually, he could not see he had a problem in the relationship that invovled both of them( not just Oakwood), and he could not see how to fix it without leaving. Oakwood could see, that is why she would not give the money back. She saw he had a money problem, yes she could have went about it differently but she did not. It must not have bothered her enough to talk to him about it yet. Soon it would not be "his" money it will be "our" or "Their" money.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Monique I believe that Conner wanted to leave not only because of the money situation, but because of the fact that the money situation was just a prime example of the lack of trust she has for him. In relationships, trust is one of the key components to success and Conner knows that. If Oakwood doesn't trust him, their relationship will not work. Oakwood is also being selfish because she knows the decisions that he makes with his money with effect her as well, therefore she doesn't want to deal with the consequences if he decides to make the wrong decision.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Melissa Harding, I believe that he truly wanted to end the relationship but there was something keeping him back from ending it. Once the whole situation happened with editing the book, it possibly became evident that the relationship would not work. The cause of him holding on for so long could have possibly been being afraid of moving on from the relationship and not having her anymore. Many times people like the things that a person may do but they don't necessarily like the person.

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ Sebehc's Comment, Conner was leaving Oakwood. The reasoning behind it was not good enough, maybe he was not leaving for good. He said he needed to figure some things out first. He could have gone to his friends house for a few our hours( the brain works fast), or gone over his mother's house ( older people have that wisdom). He chose to leave and pack a bag to go, so he was going to be gone for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Ms Fielder.. she doesn't trust him but read it again Oakwood is the fiance in this story

    ReplyDelete
  35. Why does Connor's fiancee believe that they should interact as two different people?( as spouses and as clients)

    ReplyDelete
  36. @ brand23
    It is actually very common that couples separate their business and relationship. This division causes each spouse to understand the seriousness of the business preventing feelings or emotions from destroying the main goal. The separation also insures that when together no matter what happened with the business portion it won't affect your relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  37. In the story Oakwood brings up Pedro, (Connor's business partner) who from time to time because of his own financial obligations can not pitch in for the rent of the office. Connors response argument was that Pedro did not try to separate their relationship in to two different parts. Do you believe that Connor would have stayed if Oakwood did not separate their relationship and business?

    ReplyDelete
  38. @monique.blissett
    I believe that money was the main reason that Conner wanted to leave Oakwood. You could also argue about the trust issue, but a majority of his frustration towards her was place on the two thousand dollars of work Conner had done.

    ReplyDelete
  39. @CGoodson I personally think that the reason why he questioned her about it is because he doesn't want her to mix up their relationship with their business.

    ReplyDelete
  40. @monique.blissett I honestly believe it was a trust situation, because he asked her certain questions about how she thought he would spend his money after she paid him back of what she owed him, and she told the truth of how she was thinking about what he was going to do with the money so it kind of made her think and look at him a little differently.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Do you really believe that Connor left Oakwood for the money or was it a personal issue in which this current experience was an excuse to leave?

    ReplyDelete
  42. @monique.blissett I honestly believe Connor was forced to leave because of this situation because as we see earlier in the story Connor was still a bit shaky about his decision because when oakwood was asking questions like, "Where are you going to go?" We see that his decision progress was being challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  43. @Oswald, I don't think that Connor left Oakwood because of the money or personal issues. It was the fact that Oakwood promised the money, despite the fact that payment wasn't necessary, and was still with holding it because she wasn't sure Connor could properly manage it. Connor said that the money wasn't the issue repeatedly. Its really hard to continue any relationship if one partner withholds whatever you are entitled to because s/he doesn't want to trust you with it. It's insulting really. I wouldn't marry a man who held on to my things simply to keep me from mismanaging it. Why should Connor?

    Question: How would the story be different, if Oakwood was Connor's girlfriend rather than his fiancee? Sister? Friend? co-worker? Parent?

    ReplyDelete
  44. @brand23 I believe they wanted it that way because thy wanted to show fairness and equal treatment to all their business clients all because it is proper work ethics and also it will keep their reputation as business representatives positive in the world of work.

    ReplyDelete
  45. @sebehc The title being Goodbye implies Connor was going to leave all along no matter what Oakwood said or did.

    ReplyDelete
  46. @Oswald Jackson Jr. I don't believe the current experience was an excuse to leave or that he just left because of the money. The trust was broken when Oakwood wouldn't trust him enough pay him back the money so he felt he could no longer continue the arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Why was the guy continually dealing with the issue, when he knew it was in fact a problem from the start

    ReplyDelete
  48. @Oswald Jackson Jr. I believe it was the straw that broke the camels back... the continual denial of Oakwood never helped the situation.
    @kfouche. I believe that Connor would have stayed if she had never separated the two, she would have been in a fully trusting relationshipl

    ReplyDelete
  49. Even though a definite time was given, it still was not precise enough. Due to this vagueness, what was the setting of the story as far as time is concerned?

    ReplyDelete
  50. In response to Sebehc's question, the title of the shorty story "Goodbye" implies to me that this story will be about two individuals separating by either friendship, relationship, or marriage. Although this was the way in which I intended the story to be played out, it actually came across with the use of personification. There indeed was a separation but the division was between Connor(male) and Oakwood(an institution - her).

    Also, in response to brand23, Connor's fiancee believes that they should interact as two different people to ensure that business would not conflict with their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  52. @ Oswald Jackson Jr
    The money was the last straw. It brought forth animosities that had already been building up.

    ReplyDelete
  53. @ brand23
    i believe she did not really trust him from the start. She probably thought he would do the best editing if he looked at it as one of his regular jobs and was getting paid for it. But she didn't really want to pay him. She just wanted to get what she needed out of him.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Who does Pedro represent if the fiance is Oakwood?

    ReplyDelete
  55. @ Elysia Cohen
    Pedro represented another institution that Conner invested in.

    ReplyDelete
  56. What was the real reason why the "fiance" didn't want to give Conner the money when she had it?

    ReplyDelete
  57. In answer to "Do you believe that Connor wanted to leave his fiancee(Oakwood) or was his forced to leave because of the money situation?"
    I think that Conner was questioning his reason for being at Oakwood because he said he wanted to address the situation before the book editing, but the money situation finalized his decision on leaving.

    ReplyDelete